BY KRISSY OSTERMILLER
Eating plant-based doesn’t mean you have to miss out on creamy deliciousness; it just means you get to be more imaginative. From local meal delivery service YAYE Organics, Chef Jessica Chambers has adapted a fan favorite for your kitchen. This recipe calls for cauliflower and coconut milk, giving it its signature silky consistency and nutritional yeast for that umami cheesy flavor. Though we like to use cremini mushrooms, asparagus and grape tomatoes in this dish, you can use whichever vegetables you like best, as this decadent goodness pairs well with just about any vegetable. We recommend using a high-speed blender to get the consistency as smooth as a classic Italian Alfredo sauce.
It’s 2022 and we are convinced there is nothing cauliflower can’t do. Unbelievably rich and creamy, this easy cauliflower alfredo will surely convince you, too.
No time to cook? Get organic, plant-based, locally prepared ready-to-eat meals delivered to your door weekly. Visit yayeorganics.com to view next week’s menu. (Serves 4 : 1 hour prep time)
1 large bulb of Garlic
1 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
1 small Head of Cauliflower – cut into quarters
1 small Yellow Onion – peeled and cut into quarters
Vegetables of choice to mix with pasta – we recommend cremini mushrooms, asparagus and grape tomatoes
1 box of your favorite pasta (we recommend GF chickpea, lentil or rice pasta)
1 cup Non-dairy Milk of your choice – we use Coconut Milk
4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
½ lemon (squeezed)
1 ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
Optional Hemp Parmesan Ingredients:
1/8 cup Hemp Seeds
¼ cup Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds
1/8 cup Nutritional Yeast
1 Tbsp Pink Himalayan Salt
½ Tbsp dried Oregano
½ Tbsp dried Parsley
1 Tbsp roasted Garlic Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top ¼ inch off the whole garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake for 40 – 50 min until soft. Let cool, then peel garlic and reserve oil (now garlic oil) to use later for Optional Hemp Parmesan. Leave oven on for Optional Hemp Parmesan.
2. In a large pot, add cauliflower, onion, and enough water to cover. Boil until very tender (about 15 – 20 min). Once fork-tender, drain any excess water.
3. While Step #2 is under way, begin to boil water for your pasta and prepare your vegetables of choice (our preferred method is grilling, but sautéing is great, too).
4. Cook pasta according to instructions on box, strain, and set aside.
5. Blend cauliflower and onion with milk alternative, roasted garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend in batches and add water as needed. Once all ingredients are blended into the perfect, creamy sauce – set aside for plating.
6. Optional Hemp Parmesan: Toast hemp seeds and sunflower/pumpkin seeds at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 10 – 15 min.
7. Optional Hemp Parmesan: Add toasted seeds and remaining dry hemp parmesan ingredients to a food processor and pulse until coarse. Then mix in oil.
8. Toss pasta, sauce, and veggies in a pan. Plate and top with Optional Hemp Parmesan and enjoy!